PRODUCTION MANAGER/FACILITY SUPERVISION
Totem Pole Playhouse
Interested Applicants may reply to employment@totempoleplayhouse.
- Totem Pole Playhouse, Pennsylvania’s premier professional summer theatre, located in the spectacular 1,200-acre Caledonia State Park between Gettysburg and Chambersburg, PA, is seeking a seasonal Theatrical Production Manager for this legendary summer theatre’s 74th award-winning 5-show season.
- The Totem Pole Playhouse 2024 season schedule runs May 31st through August 31st. Additionally, there is a potential holiday entertainment offering in December presented at an off-site venue. Engagement calendar may have flexibility in regards to start and end dates, but applicants should ideally be available for the entire season.
- Totem Pole Playhouse produces productions through an agreement with Actor’s Equity Association, as well as a summer concert series. Totem Pole has an excellent reputation within the industry; the New York Times once named it, “the Cadillac of summer theaters.”
If required, most staff positions are provided housing in private bedrooms within shared staff houses as well as a weekly salary. 2024 Summer Series Shows include: Pump Boys and Dinettes, Clue (Onstage), Tuesday with Morrie, Jersey Boys and a weeklong Summer Concert Series. Most shows receive a week of load-in and a week of proper tech, making the schedule unique and less hectic than traditional summer theatre. When open, Totem Pole runs a fully operational and staffed private scenic and costume shop.
Totem Pole is actively seeking a Theatrical Production Manager who is a proactive, collaborative, creative professional to manage a fast-paced Production Department, overseeing all production elements and related financials for our 2024 season. Additionally, this person supervises Totem Pole’s general facility needs.
Candidates should possess strong people-leading, communication, technological, and organizational skills. Having the ability to operate in an agile manner and work well under pressure are paramount. Candidates should have a sense of both the technical and aesthetic components of each production and feel empowered to run with them. Candidates should possess a thoughtful and collaborative spirit, focusing on achieving goals and meeting timelines within a team environment fostering problem-solving and staff mentoring.
This position is at the communication hub to all Creative and Technical Departments. They will report to the Artistic Director.
SPAN OF AGREEMENT DATES: May 6th 2024 through September 2nd 2024
- Secure light, sound, and costume packages (in association with Artist Director and Managing Director)
- Interview/Hire/Supervise production staff (in association with Artist Director and Managing Director)
- Ensure all aspects of the CBA with AEA are being upheld in relation to technical operation and production.
- Oversee all scenic, electrical, audio, properties, costume and wigs/hair/make-up asset builds/acquisitions for all productions at Totem Pole Playhouse.
- Coordinate production schedule with Artistic Director and Managing Director
- Communicate with all designers and set respective deadlines.
- Discuss and implement budget with Managing Director and Artistic Director
- Schedule and review all production expenses
- Oversee lighting and sound departments (including installation)
- Process payroll timesheets
- Trouble-shoot technical complications during build, load-in, tech, and changeover
- Schedule changeovers with production team, administration, and creative teams
- Manage production budget to include approving expenses and finding creative ways to save on costs.
- Negotiate production contracts with Managing Director and Artistic Director
- Oversee the care and needs of the physical building (HVAC, nature mitigation, power, ect) and grounds are met.
SKILLS AND TRAINING:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience in theatrical Production Management or Technical Direction.
- Must be familiar with industry standard software/equipment.
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize work on varied projects.
- Ability/willingness to collaborate and work as a team member, while maintaining a
positive attitude with a diverse staff through strong verbal and written communication
and organizational skills.
- Must be able to lift 50bs, and able to climb and work from tall ladders if needed and possess a valid US Driver’s License.
Weekly Salary Range $750-900 DOE
.*Totem Pole Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.